Monday, December 10, 2007

The weather outside is frightful...

This past weekend, it started to rain about midday on Friday and didn't really stop until sometime Sunday morning. Now in my opinion, if it is going to snow, I would much rather it be a large storm that makes you want to go sledding and then curl up in front of the fire with some hot chocolate. So needless to say, I enjoyed this storm. Then we made plans to go to Kevin and Lo's house and make marshmallows and watch a Christmas movie. It sounded like the perfect event to kick off the holiday season.

Now for the past 10 months I have lived with a little extra road noise to keep my snow tires on my car that I got for free half way through last winter. It sounds more like a Jeep than a Honda, and a conversation is near impossible at 40 miles per hour. But when the snow starts to get deep, my car starts to shine. We were able to make it up the hill to kevin's house, a task that nothing short of a 4x4 or SUV is able to do. I have to say that I was quite impressed that it made it, and now that it did, I have this strange feeling of confidence when driving in the snow.

When we first got up there we all helped plow the road leading up to the house with Kevin's four-wheelers. I have never been to much of a fan of shoveling but if I had the four-wheeler everytime, I might even get excited about it. I am definitely going to have to get some of those to play with sometime in the next couple of years. After plowing for a little while, the girls decided that they needed a candy thermometer to make the marshmallows. There wasn't one at the Olsen home, but tanner's house wasn't that far away and we did have a couple of four-wheelers and a utility trailer. So the guys suited up and got ready to make the journey. I was wearing Lori's gloves, Kev's beanie, my coat, a pair of dress shoes, and my aviator sunglasses so that I would be able to see. We loaded Tim into the trailer, and made our way down the hill to get the candy thermometer. The girls had girl time, and the guys ran around on four wheelers.

Later that night we all went out and had some fun playing in the snow and taking some sweet pics. Ashley was wearing my coat, and it absolutely drowns her, so if you can't see any part of her face in these pictures that is why.
The next day, after going and getting dinner and ice cream, we decided that we hadn't had enough fun in the snow. Ashley bought a tube, and we decided to go back down to Tanner's house to have a little fun in the empty horse arena. We got all suited up in proper snow gear, got out the hand warmers and had some good fun in the snow. We started pulling people behind the four-wheelers. It was a lot of fun because you would lay stomach down on the sled and fly across the snow. It was not easy to see when you were getting a faceful of snow everytime you hit a bump but that was part of the fun. It sure was funny when you would see someone loose control of the sled and end up in pile of mud. We also slid down the hill and just had a fun time playing around in the snow.


Both nights we ended up having hot chocolate at Lori and Kev's house, and of course, it was always topped with a homemade marshmallow. That part of it will definitely have to become a holiday tradition at our house because those marshmallows were amazing. (Thanks for making the mallows ladies!) In the end, we accomplished everything that I could have hoped for with the weekend. We had fun even though the roads weren't that great, we started what what will hopefully be a great tradition for years to come. I have noticed that having Ashley around just makes everything, even the holidays, that much better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had a freakin sweet weekend!! Can't wait for it to snow again!